RESURRECTION WEEKEND SABBATH COMMUNION EXPERIENCE
Saturday, April 8
Ordinance of Humility (foot washing) @ 10:30 am
Communion Service @ 11:30 am
Jesus lives! Resurrection Weekend is always special at Capitol Hill, so invite you to the Resurrection Weekend Sabbath Communion Experience on April 8. Join us in-person and online. If you plan to join us in-person, we will host the Ordinance of Humility (foot washing) from 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.; and our Worship Service and Ordinance of Communion will begin at 11:30 a.m.
To PREPARE, during the week:
1. Access and review the online COMMUNION TOOLKIT at bit.ly/CHCVirtualCommunionKit. The Toolkit contains: CHC Communion Guide, Communion Bread Recipe, Communion Videos for Children, Reflection on Foot washing, and A Reflection on Jesus Washing the Feet of His Disciples.
2. We encourage you to:
- Pray with others on our Prayer Line, Monday thru Friday, at 7am and/or 12noon. Dial: (667) 770-1144. Access code: 690556# (don't forget the #)
- Have your own daily individual and/or family devotion time
- During the week, log onto the nightly times for worship and fellowship:
30-minute CHC Connect @ 7pm, on Monday, via Zoom - https://zoom.us/j/795065106. Dial-in: (929) 205-6099 | Meeting ID: 795 065 106
Wednesdays In the Word @ 7pm via YouTube or Facebook
3. Read Scripture and/or Readings for personal devotion and/or family discussion
4. Consider these Communion Videos for Children
VIDEO: The Last Super (The New Covenant, Communion for kids)
VIDEO: WHAT IS COMMUNION? RESOURCE | Kids on the Move
VIDEO: The Story of Easter (The Last Supper)
If you plan to participate virtually, in addition to the above, also:
5. Purchase grape juice. If you don't have at home already, our Health Ministry team advises that you consider trying the organic varieties and/or those with less sugar.
6. Bake Your Own Communion Bread, or Purchase. Unleavened bread is the best expression of the "bread" element. Unleavened bread simply is bread baked without a rising agent (most large grocery stores stock unleavened bread). A “Communion Bread Recipe,” by our Head Deaconess, Barbara Stewart -- is found in the Toolkit. This can be prepared the day before. If you cannot bake the bread, purchase some crackers such as Wheat Thins, Triscuits, etc.
7. Set aside a basin and hand towels. You may choose to hold your foot washing time on Friday evening, or during the scheduled 10:30 am period. Even if you will be participating alone, you should still set aside the towel and basin with warm water for a visible symbolism as you read “Reflection on Foot Washing”, or other reading you have chosen, to reflect on during foot washing segment.
To PARTICIPATE in the Resurrection Weekend Communion Experience:
10:30 am - Ordinance of Humility (foot washing)
1. Consider inviting your family and friends to join you.
2. Arrive at Capitol Hill SDA Church at 10:30 am or no later than 10:45 am on Sabbath morning, and you will be directed where to go to participate in foot washing
3. After foot washing, join us in the Sanctuary for scripture readings, video reflections and music.
11:30 am -Worship Service and Ordinance of Communion
As other worshippers gather, this service will begin at 11:30 am. Reflect on and celebrate the great sacrifice Jesus made for you. Recommit yourself to Him.
First, consider inviting your family and friends to join you, especially if you will be out of town for Resurrection Weekend. No tv, radio, etc. Just you and your family and/or friends. If it is just you at home, host a “virtual dinner” with family and/or friends over FaceTime, Zoom, or Skype. During dinner, discuss the questions or reflections. Of course, if you have your own that is fine as well. The goal is for you and your family/friends to spend some quality time.
Friday Evening or 10:30 am Sabbath Morning - Ordinance of Humility (foot washing)
1. Set aside basin/s of warm water and a towel/s
2. Plan a period of devotion with a song, scripture reading, “Reflection on Foot washing” reading, or other reading/s, and discuss the following questions:
o How does Communion speak to you about the faithfulness of God? Your faithfulness to Him?
o As you reflect on the impact of the pandemic, what more have you learned about:
a. God | b. Yourself | c. Others
3. Wash yours and each other's feet
4. Conclude with additional singing, reading and/or discussion, and prayer
11:30 am - Sabbath Worship Service and Ordinance of Communion
1. Set out unleavened bread (or crackers) crackers, and small glass/es of grape juice.
2. Have your Bible handy
3. Log into the Virtual Communion Experience via Capitol Hill's YouTube or Facebook page. This experience will include readings, prayer, a brief homily, music, and reflections. The pastor will direct you through receiving communion. All you need to do is follow along online and participate as directed.
4. Reflect on and celebrate the great sacrifice Jesus made for you. Recommit yourself to Him.